Examples of, or actions related to a self-organized network of people with common agenda, cause, or interest, who collaborate by sharing ideas, information, and other resources.
A photograph that in the photographer's eyes, captures the essence of the Earth Day meaning/theme at DOE.
Examples of, or actions related to the act of conserving or saving our natural resources through careful management. This means using resources wisely and responsibly. Examples: reducing pollution or waste, environmental conservation, recycling, or natural resource conservation.
Energy Efficiency Description
Energy efficiency is "using less energy to provide the same service." Energy efficiency can apply to everything from electronics, appliances and cars, to measures or features that improve the efficiency of homes and buildings.
Renewable Energy Description
Examples of, or actions related to fuel sources that are other than those derived from fossil fuels. Commonly referred to as "alternative energy." Common types of renewable energy include:
- Hydro electricity captures energy from falling water.
- Nuclear energy uses nuclear fission to release energy stored in the atomic bonds of heavy elements.
- Wind energy is the generation of electricity from wind.
- Solar energy is the use of sunlight. Light can be changed into thermal (heat) energy or directly into electricity via photovoltaic devices.
- Geothermal energy is the use of the earth's internal heat for heating buildings or generating electricity.
- Biofuel and Ethanol are plant-derived gasoline substitutes for powering vehicles.
Resilience means making facilities better able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult environmental or other conditions - extreme weather and climate events, cybersecurity, security of power and water resources, etc. This encompasses adaptation - the ability to adapt, reorganize, and evolve to improve the sustainability of the system, leaving it better prepared for future disruptions. Examples of resilience measures include:
- Adapting sites or buildings to extreme weather or climate events
- Using scarce energy and water resources more efficiently
- Planting tree species and forestry practices less vulnerable to storms and fires
- Surveying local vulnerabilities, raising public awareness, and making available resilience-related planning tools like future precipitation or flood maps
Photo Contest Rating Criteria for Each Category:
- Technical Excellence/Quality
- Composition/Artistic Merit
- Overall Impact Relating to the Theme